Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Homework Central

Monday afternoon--3:45 (or so)--phone rings, and I answer. "Hi nana, this is Sabrina. I need some help with my homework." (Oh boy, I think, I hope it's not too hard.) :). She continues, " I need to know the singular or plurals of these words." (Phew, I'm pretty good with words.) "What are the words, sweetie?" "Alumni" she says. (Hmmmmm) "Alumna" (or is it Alumnae?) "Okay" she says, "and the other one is species" (Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think third grade is getting too hard for me) " Species " I answer. "Okay" she says (she is so trusting)
Tuesday morning--7:15--phone rings. "Hellllloooo" is your husband awake?" (It's Tiffany) "Well I think he is now" I tell her. I go get Bob and he answers "UHHHH". "Good morning! Could you take Rylee to her orthodontist appointment today?" He comes alive and says "Sure!" Usually that means that he can take Rylee to lunch after the appointment before he takes her back to school. This time, however, she has to get back for Chemistry. (Darn).
Tuesday afternoon--around 4:00--phone rings. Uh oh, I think, I hope I didn't make a mistake with the words! But no, I answer the phone and this is what I hear, "His nana, this is Cassidy. (Phew) I need a poetry book that has rhyming poems in it. I know you have some, I've seen them downstairs on the shelves. I need to borrow one, and my friend needs one too, but I could always share if you don't want to loan her one. Could I borrow one or a couple?" (Oh boy, I think, easy homework today!) "Sure Cassidy I have a few, I'll read you the titles and you can choose." Then we had a little conversation about the Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky books, which were just what she had in mind. "Cassidy," I asked, "do you need these right away?"
"Well, it's due tomorrow". (Ahhh, spoken like a true granddaughter of mine, why do it now if you can wait 'til tomorow?) "Okay, Cassidy, I'm planting some flowers right, but I'll clean up and bring you the books in about half an hour." "Okay", she says "thanks, nana."
This is why we live here, and not in that house on the golf course in Utah. Family nearby, what a blessing. We love you all, and we love to help when we can. After all, what is family for--Love,Support,Help, Understanding,Fun.
btw: What is the plural of species and alumni???????

2 comments:

Amy-Sue and Gian Del Bello said...

Mom, the plural of alumni (according to Sabrina's corrected paper) is alumnus....what??? That doesn't seem right. I'm sticking with graduate!
See...we NEED you around here(not on some plain of Wyoming). We are always grateful for any help you can give us or the grandkids!!!!!!!!!

ashcraft8 said...

We are always thankful to have you two so close. We are very lucky.