Wednesday, May 13, 2009

MAYbe there is still time

Last week whizzed by. It was the week that Carden Whittier School's 7th and 8th graders had the opportunity to visit Washington, D. C.; however, not all the students went. We were left with about 17 students who attended school (and a few who went elsewhere with their families). Since we couldn't go on with the curriculum, it meant coming up with a project all the students would enjoy. I decided to have each student make a mini photo album for their mom--using an Altoids box as the outer protection. (it may sound weird, but it will fit in mom's purse, and the bonus is you can eat the Altoids while working on the project). I took almost everything I have in the way of scrapbooking product to school and the students really had a great time using it.
Yesterday, one of the girls came into class and announced that her mother "just LOVED" the Altoids box. Most of the class didn't know what we were talking about--so I showed them the prototype. Now everyone wants to make one. Too bad, 'cause this is my last week of school for this year (MAYbe next year????)
Jolene continues her knitting instruction and she is getting it! I gave her instructions for a washcloth, and when I saw her Sunday she was all smiles because she is on her way to a finished product. Maybe she will finish before we leave ?????
Mothers' Day was fun. Amy-Sue and Tiff each gave me 2 selections of food for dinner. Luckily, they didn't choose the same things, and I was able to fill their requests. They left me with the dessert choice--yum. As gifts they both got DR. Laura's newest book: In Praise of Stay-At-Home Moms, money for much desired items I couldn't get, and Amy-Sue got a full pan of lemon bars "just for herself" (but I bet she ended up sharing them). In return I was gifted with an ADORABLE cheery cherry apron, a yellow spatula, a yellow Kitchen Aid Mixer (which has not arrived yet) and a box filled with the (fabled) Carbone amber glassware that I coveted at the ALLB Thrift and Vintage store. ( Tiff went down the day after I first talked about them, and SHE is the one who bought them.) WOW! I was sooooo surprized. MAYbe this week at dinner we will be drinking from them. (ya think?)
We are beginning to really rev up for the Mission. Only a week before we leave. Maybe I need to start making daily lists. We bought a new Canon camcorder so we can record the awesome activities at Martins' Cove. MAYbe we will learn how to use it. Of course, Satan continues to bother us with little stumbling blocks. ( I remember this from last year so it is no surprize, but I hate to start each day wondering what else will go wrong.) Yesterday my phone decided to quit transmitting. After visiting 2 different Verizon stores, (ugh) the "tech man" agreed there is a problem, and a new phone will be shipped to me in 2 days, then I have to take it in, get it reprogrammed and mail the old Satan-infected phone back to Verizon. What the heck--it is just time intensive--but at least MAYbe I'll have a working phone again. (amazing how attached I've become to having a cell phone). We took Amy-Sue and Gian to Outback for dinner last night--belated Anniversary gift. It was yummy, and fun to have just the two of them to visit with.
Amy-Sue invited me to 10th Ward's aerobic class which meets at 6:30 am. After 45 minutes of aerobics, (phew, pant, pant) the ladies end with a little scripture study. What a great way to start the day! MAYbe, they will do this again in the fall -- I hope. Thanks ladies for allowing me to be a part of your day.
I'm truly blessed to have a loving family, friends who amaze me (more about this comment in the future) and opportunities to grow.
There is still time to make this a GREAT week! MAYbe you can make it a GREAT week, too!

1 comment:

Amy-Sue and Gian Del Bello said...

MAYbe you know how much I love you-but MAYbe I better tell you again...Love ya MOM!